Burrow Digs Deep to Claim AESGC Men’s Open Title

(Al Ain, UAE) – Plus two (+2) handicap golfer Max Burrow’s 68 Gross was good enough for him to seal a one-shot victory in the AESGC Men’s Open as the final round concluded this afternoon. The Englishman added a second round 68 to his opening round of 73(141) which was played out in very testing conditions and included two rain delays due to thunder and lightning.

Mens Open Winner Max Burrow

AEGSC Men’s Open Winner Max Burrow

In the end, it came down two-way shootout between Max and Steven Kelbriek as Steven added a second round level par 70 to his opening round of 72(142). As both men stood on the 13th tee it looked like we were destined for a playoff, a 2 against Steven’s par 3 put Burrow out in front and he was not be caught as he had 2 putts from 5 feet one the last to close out a one-shot victory. 3rd place went the Dane Mikkel Mathiesen who’s storming 31 back nine finish saw him post 69 and complete the podium.

In the Net Category AESGC Member Konstantin Varga left the rest of the field behind as he posted a Net 59 to add to his first round 66 and prevail by a huge 13 shots (125) from his nearest challenger, that nearest challenger was another AESGC member Gerry Madden, Gerry significantly improved on his opening 76 by adding a 63 net for a 138 total. Laurent Truquet placed in 3rd position with a total of 140, his first round struggles of 75 Net were put right with a superb 65 Net on day 2.

Adam Zahri took top honors in the Division A category, his scores of 69 and 72 were good enough for a 36 hole total of 141, Sam McDowell took the second spot with solid rounds of 73 and 71 for a total of 144.

In Division B Phil Miller took victory by the slimmest of margins, two very tidy scores of 72 and 70 combined for an overall total of 142 Net. Wayne Turner like many others struggled on day one to a Net 76 but bounced back impressively to shoot 67 and post an overall total of 143 and take runners up spot.

A big well done to all who competed as the conditions of Friday morning were brutal but most golfers managed to stay going and battle through the heavy winds and rain.